• OS X

How To Find Apps On Your Mac That You No Longer Need

How To Find Apps On Your Mac That You No Longer Need

I must have 150 apps on my Mac. Some are big. Some small. Combined, they take up a lot of my precious harddrive space. But how many of the the 150 apps do I use on a regular basis? Are there any apps that I can delete in order to free up space?

It’s easy to find out.

Load up Finder.app, go to File > Find add “Kind is Application” in the search filter area and choose a “Last opened date” that is before, say, 2 months ago.

How to find old apps that you no longer use

This will return apps that have not been opened since that period. You can now choose to delete any apps that you no longer use or plan to use in the future.

By using this technique I saved more than 2GB of hard drive space on my Mac. Remember to empty your trash and you delete your unused apps.

9 thoughts on “How To Find Apps On Your Mac That You No Longer Need

1. Bert says:

This is Handy!!

2. When you delete applications, you might want to delete their support files as well. Go to Library/Application Support and look for the folder with the same name as the application you just deleted. Then delete the whole folder.

Some applications generate a lot of log and cache files as well. The easiest way to get rid of this is to run the automatic cleanup routine available in a freeware application called Onyx.

1. vestitorul says:

Hi, Timo! I wanted to know how are things going with the Open OnAir and OpenDesk broadcast open-source software.
          Can you please e-mail me at gabriel {dot} tudor { at } ymail { dot } com? I would like to help, if possible, to the development of this software.
          I am a news editor and presenter at Radio Trinitas Bucharest and can translate the software to Romanian, if you want.
          Good luck!

3. S E Martin says:

Didn’t work for me.

4. Tim Riggs says:

Sorry this didnt work for me either….

5. Janneke435 says:

Damn… i don’t get al that options to search…..
    I can go to finder and go to search, but that doesn’t work this way….

6. Yep, this worked perfectly! For those who can’t figure it out, open a new Finder window and go to File > Find (or just hit Command + F). Along the top part of the window will say Kind (dropdown) is Any (dropdown). You can change either of those two menu options. Once you have, look to the right side of that same toolbar and click the + button to add additional criteria…in this case, a Last Opened Date.

7. Lee Turley says:

This is a good idea but it doesn’t fully work.  For instance it doesn’t recognise pure Menu Bar apps, running this on my system it states that I haven’t opened dropbox since december 2010, and I use this everyday – so delete stuff with caution.