Is Apple Killing The “iPod” Brand?

Is Apple Killing The “iPod” Brand?

An interesting piece of information has surfaced regarding iOS 5 – the music app, previously called “iPod” on devices, is now simply called “Music.” Could this be an indication that the “iPod” brand is dying? You decide.

It might be nothing – Our source suggests that the name change of the music app could be explained as Apple simply wanting to unify the experience between all of their devices – this, I think, is likely. Yet, at the same time, it is difficult to overlook the fact that the iPod brand has been around for very, very long time, and Apple may be interested in retiring the name.

Additionally, the “iPod” brand may have simply lost its meaning – back when the iPod was new, it was just a music player. It eventually gained the ability to play videos – this is the basic idea behind the iPod – a simple media player that just works. But today’s iOS devices are more than just iPods – they are, in addition, web browsers, game consoles, productivity devices…the list goes on. Could Apple be trying to distance itself from the past, or from the perceptions that sometimes arise when people see or hear the term “iPod?

Personally, I don’t lend much credit to this theory until the iPod Classic is discontinued – something which, due to its massive capacity – probably will not happen until at least 128GB of storage is feasible and relatively affordable in an iOS device. Some people might regard internet radio, music streaming, or even iCloud as an answer to this concern – but it’s also important to remember that these things only work if a data connection is present. This can present problems for someone that likes to take their music on the road, as cell reception isn’t always the best when travelling, or someone with an iPod Touch, who doesn’t have constant access to a Wi-Fi connection.

In short, I don’t expect the iPod brand to go anywhere anytime soon – the iPod Touch continues to gain traction (although it could be called an iTouch, as it already is in some circles…), and iPods (even Classics, Nanos, or older models) still serve a significant number of consumers, so I’d consider it unlikely to see the titan that is the iPod brand fall in the foreseeable future.

Your thoughts? Sound off in the comments!

1. Chris Wong says:

I don’t think so. In my opinion they’re just trying to clear things up. I still recall when I handed my friends and family my iPhone who are not familiar with it, they asked me where to listen to music and i told them to tap on the iPod. They immediately thought of the physical iPod. So changing it to “Music” is an awesome idea imo. 🙂

2. Chris Wong says:

3. I have never liked the name “iPod” for the music app, since iPod is a physical device, so I like this change, it’s more accurate.

4. I have never liked the name “iPod” for the music app, since iPod is a physical device, so I like this change, it’s more accurate.

5. Dillon Boardman says:

Killing the iPod would be bad business for Apple. There are some non-tech people that like to listen to music without having to buy low quality MP3 players

6. Micflan says:

Does the iPod Touch have an iPod app?

I think this change makes sense. iPod is the physical device , whether it’s touch or classic. iPods and iPhones both have Music apps.

7. Ryan Gomez says:

I think (hope) this doesn’t indicate “killing” the iPod. The iPod touch has always had the arrangement where there was a separate Music and Video app.  I think that they’re just trying to create more unification across all iOS devices.

8. Jhun_dred says:

They can do what ever they want. We are just consumers and the manufacturers love’s us who buys a product that make high profits in return. =)

9. Efrain says:

In Mexico City is very difficult to find a case for iPod Classic.  Stores doesn’t cell them anymore. I think Apple will continue selling the classic version. As you said it, its capacity (for me) is the main reason to keep them selling the classic.

10. Angelnilo06 says:

iPod = Hardware
    Music = software

Why would there be a piece of hardware on the hardware itself?

11. Danataylorbowen says:

A music app is a music app not an iPod. As angelnilo06 mentioned the iPod is the hardware and the music is the software. There will still be iPod touches, iPod classics and iPod nano’s just not an “iPod” app.