• OS X

OS X Lion Dropping “AirPort” Branding On Wi-Fi Devices

OS X Lion Dropping “AirPort” Branding On Wi-Fi Devices

For over a decade, Apple has used the term “AirPort” to refer to the Wi-Fi connectivity in Macs. With OS X Lion, however, that may be about to change. The latest developer preview of Lion shows former references to “AirPort” being changed to simply “Wi-Fi”.

The change is an interesting one, and I am not certain why Apple would be focused on making this change. One possibility is that users sometimes become confused when looking for wireless networks, but I have not, having worked with many clients, ever found someone to become confused over the matter.

One interesting possible connection one might draw could be to the rumored impending refresh of AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule units – it’s possible that they may be rebranded in some manner to reflect “the death of AirPort.”

Whatever the case, I’m a bit sad that Apple may have done away with the AirPort brand – I thought it was a clever term that people understood, and brought one further level of uniqueness to the Mac.

What are your thoughts? Sound off in the comments!

1. sunny rana says:

OS X Lion Dropping “AirPort” Branding On Wi-Fi Devices  http://xisworld.com

2. Cmacanbheatha says:

It may have a lot to do with the terminology used with iPhones. Where the iPhone user is more common than the mac user. So for those that decide to convert from pc to mac after purchasing an iPhone, this transition is made easier with wi-Fi being the term used on iPhone.

But sure who’s to know, possible developer glitch?

3. sunny rana says:

The change is an interesting one, and I am not certain why Apple would be focused on making this change. http://xisworld.com

4. sunny rana says:

Whatever the case, I’m a bit sad that Apple may have done away with the
    AirPort brand – I thought it was a clever term that people  http://xisworld.com

5. abilia568 says:

Apple has used the term “AirPort full details at http://xisworld.com

6. MacDude says:

what’s in a name fellows, as long if it works it’s fine.
    apple will be apple with or without specific names.

7. Who care’s which name it has?? It is same, only with another name ;’D

8. Iemand... says:

ehh, airport was replaced with wi-fi in the first developer’s preview too guys

9. 309364 755878I actually like your writing style, amazing details, thankyou for posting : D. 447632

10. 219020 500432This article is very appealing to thinking individuals like me. It is not only thought-provoking, it draws you in from the beginning. This really is well-written content. The views here are also appealing to me. Thank you. 237516