Apple Accidentally Charged This Guy 122 Times For Lion

Apple Accidentally Charged This Guy 122 Times For Lion

Apparently it doesn’t matter who you are – everyone makes mistakes, even Apple! And this one’s a doozy! Apple reportedly charged John Christman’s PayPal account 122 separate times for his Lion download, for a total of $3878.40!

While its obvious that Christman probably didn’t intentionally purchase Lion 12 times, it’s unclear exactly what has gone wrong. Christman reported the incident to both PayPal and Apple, both of whom blame the other, and while both companies claim to be investigating the issue, Mr. Christman is almost $4000 in the hole until they get it sorted out.

Christman has stated that he believes the issue is related to one of Apple’s new iCloud features that lets iTunes automatically download prior purchases, and claims that the times on his account for each of the 121 extra purchases correspond to his downloading of prior purchased apps from the App Store using the latest iTunes 10.5 beta.

While I personally doubt that what Christman believes happened is actually the case (The iTunes App Store and the Mac App Store are not linked in this manner), its clear that something went wrong – and apparently Christman isn’t the only person who was charged to many times for Lion, as there’s a lengthy discussion on Apple support website surrounding the issue.

Further, even though the purchases in the screenshot above say “refunded”, Christman claims he hasn’t yet received any of the money back, as Apple claims there was only a single transaction, and when PayPal was informed, they merely closed his case and marked the items as refunded on the 23rd. Christman even claims he wont be able to pay his mortgage payment due to the loss of his funds.

While it’s unclear exactly what happened in Mr. Christman’s case, it’s certainly Apple responsibility to make things right for him – especially considering that Apple could have simply refunded his PayPal payments without question when they heard about his incident, but failed to do so, choosing to first investigate the matter instead.

1. Fairworld85 says:

He should go to a good lawyer and try to get something more. Free apple products for the rest of his life. 🙂

1. Anonymous says:

Poor him, I would be pissed off at both Apple & Paypal, both compagnies need to find a agreement, or refund him and AFTER put the blame on each other…

2. Cody Harrell says:

I believe some of it. I have noticed that some songs I purchase, the end up being on my iPhone twice, along with double Charges.

3. Joanna says:

Yet another reason to not let Paypal attach itself to your checking account.

4. Musad786 says:

I have just had double entries thru iTunes just yesterday. No wonder Apple can bail out the USA….its doing a “Swordfish” skimming peoples bank accounts, collecting the interest as well.

5. SMWieland says:

Sounds like a sync issue, different DBs timing out and retrying repeatedly.

6. This exact same thing happened to me, however it was only 9 times they charged me. took 7 days to get it sorted out.

7. William Carr says:

You might want to look elsewhere than Apple.

I once bought something via PayPal, and as it turns out my bank account was just $8 shy.

They didn’t check, and roll over to the credit card backup; they sent the request through to my bank, cost me $33 in overdraft fees, then sent it again, cost me $33, and would have sent it again, costing me $33 !

But I found out, raced down to the bank and dropped $100 in cash into the account, then begged them to have mercy.   The bank manager thought a long minute and agreed to refund just half of the money.

So, Apple’s fault?   Or PayPal’s?

Another time I ordered from eBay via PayPal.  That auction was immediately shut down as fraud.     I shrugged and contacted PayPal to warn them.

ONE MONTH LATER, the scammer from Hong Kong shipped a pirated item, NOT even the item in the auction, and claimed he deserved payment.

PayPal sided with the scammer, despite my explanation, and pointing out that their owner, eBay, had shut this guy down.

No dice.   They didn’t care, and I was out $88.   The pirates won another victory.

So… Apple has NEVER double charged ME for anything, but PayPal?   I don’t trust them as far as I can spit.

8. 699302 948014I discovered your weblog web site on google and check just some of your early posts. Proceed to sustain up the outstanding operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Data Reader. Seeking forward to reading far more from you in a while! 62265