• Apple

Microsoft Executive: ‘Siri’s Nothing Special, We’ve Had it for Over a Year’

Microsoft Executive: ‘Siri’s Nothing Special, We’ve Had it for Over a Year’

In an interview with Forbes, a Microsoft chief executive has dismissed Siri, climbing that similar voice recognition software has already been present in Windows Phone 7 for a year.

In Microsoft’s credit, the software they use is actually pretty advanced, but I think Siri is just a bit more versatile. You can say things a number of different ways and Siri will understand, and as far as I know from watching demos on the internet, you have to say things in a certain way for Windows phone to respond in the correct way. Please tell me if I’m wrong, but I think Siri is more adaptable.

If you want to skip to the relevant part of the above video, it’s at 1:51.

1. No offense, but I think your taking sides with Apple. After all, you do work for MacTrast, not WindowsTrast.

1. Anonymous says:

How am I taking sides? I’m pretty sure I’m telling the truth. I’ll happily be proved wrong though, as I said in the article. If you can find proof that the Windows Phone voice recognition software is more advanced than Siri, please post it here.

But it’s definitely true that Siri is much better marketed. The Microsoft exec even admitted it in the interview.

2. Brian says:

What they seem to miss is that even if MS had voice recog on thier phone what counts is getting people excited about it…so that they use it.

3. scott says:

Charles, by your logic, there are very few people who would be allowed to have an opinion on anything.

Yes, the reader needs to take into account affiliations and biases and judge for themselves whether or not the writer is biased or whether their view is colored by something. And guess what? Every human being alive does have filters and biased views.

But just writing for a Mac site doesn’t in and of itself mean you can’t be objective about a particular piece of news.

4. Ayyrobbayy222 says:

Apple is and always will be better 🙂

5. Aaron McClean says:

Yeah your right but apple just made it soo much better and marketed it correctly!

6. JG says:

As with most things of this nature that MS tries to do, the implementation is clunky and the vibe I get from the videos is that it’s integration into win 7 mobile is a kludge.  So yeah the actual usage is stilted and as robotic as the voice they used.  The point being that yes MS has had it in their phones for the last year, however windows phones aren’t really selling and for all intents and purposes win 7 mobile and the windows phone are the next Zune in the MS lineup.  A product destined to be adored by a few hard core MS addicts but ultimately will be quietly swept under the rug and forgotten about.  Which means their having it a year before Apple release Siri is really a moot point at best due to the platform it’s on being basically still born.  While on the other hand Siri is operates in a more natural fashion and is obviously integrated well into iOS 5.

Not to mention the fact that said MS exec comes off in the video like so many others from MS have.  Like the high school kid that is smart but an also ran because he/she won’t stop bitching about what the smarter kids in class are doing wrong and how they are just jealous of him/her, instead of actually focusing on the work he/she should be doing and perhaps would get ahead more if they actually had or applied that proper focus.

7. DanielWhittemore73 says:

Sucucess could be measured on how well known a product ask, ask a poll of 100 people on the high street which one they know about and sure the landslide winner would be Siri.