After originally being released earlier this month, only to be promptly pulled due to a variety of issues, Gmail for iOS (free, App Store Link) has now returned to the App Store. Hopefully the app will fare better this time around.
From the official Google blog:
“…we’ve created a new Gmail app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. We’ve combined your favorite features from the Gmail mobile web app and iOS into one app so you can be more productive on the go. It’s designed to be fast, efficient and take full advantage of the touchscreen and notification capabilities of your device. And it’s one more reason to switch to Gmail.”
- Get alerted to new messages with push notifications and sounds
- Find an email in seconds with search across your entire inbox
- Autocomplete email addresses from your Gmail contacts or select from your device’s address book
- Upload photos with a click using the new attachment button in compose view
- On iPad, navigate your inbox and read your mail simultaneously with split view
The app is designed to bring the best features of Gmail’s web interface to a native app for the iOS platform. The updated app can be downloaded from the App Store, and is available immediately (free, App Store Link).
Users of previous versions may have to log out and back in through iTunes prior to upgrading to the new version.