Ballmer: ‘We’ve Got to Beat Apple Anyway, So Let’s Build Stores Next to Them’

Ballmer: ‘We’ve Got to Beat Apple Anyway, So Let’s Build Stores Next to Them’

Microsoft’s CEO Steve Ballmer, better known for his crazy and quite frankly disturbing stage entrances (see below), has stated in an interview with Business Week that he intends to position Microsoft Stores (love the original name) close to Apple Stores as “the traffic is going to be there.”

Ballmer stated that Microsoft ‘must beat them anyway’, the ‘must’ in that sentence is rather telling. Microsoft are losing ground, especially on the retail side of things, and this just seems like desperate copycat attempt (as always with Microsoft) to turn things round.

Besides, even if they do open stores next to Apple, it is unlikely that Microsoft will be able to take away much of Apple’s already established customer base, so it seems like a pretty pointless and desperate move in that sense as well.

1. JG says:

I don’t get involved in platform holy wars anymore because it’s pointless.  However I have to say that this is classic Ballmer/MS strategy and I’m sad to see that as a company they are still insisting on taking this particular tack.  It hasn’t worked for them EVER, never once has this strategy provided them solid results and it never will.  MS board needs to be fired from the top down starting with Ballmer because this way of thinking will continue to see them hemorrhage money in areas where they don’t need to. As much as I really dislike MS and their products, as much as I dislike their strategies, as much as I loathe Ballmer as a person.  I still have to admit that MS has made solid contributions (even if it’s just as a burr in peoples saddle) to the tech sector and computing in general.  As such to see them in the past and still to this day taking such a low desperate ‘also ran’ attitude toward ventures like this is disheartening.  It speaks volumes to how little faith their corporate structure really has in their products and future.

1. Darryl365 says:

So very well stated!!!

2. JG, I respectfully disagree with your statement that Microsoft’s copying Apple “hasn’t worked for them EVER, never once has this strategy provided them solid results.” In fact, a major part of their income is a direct result of copying Apple. They copied the Macintosh OS and called it Windows, then used illegal and eventually monopolistic tactics to ensure that it had to be included on most PCs. Their other monopolies came as a direct result of buying other products, using illegal tactics, and outright theft.

I think you’re correct, however, in saying that you’re sad to see them continuing on this path. In the past, they could get away with this due to the relative slowness of communications. Today, with instant internet communication people can become aware of what they’re doing before they get away with it. No longer can they spend two years delaying trials so that they steal all they can before getting slapped on the wrist.

MS does have some great people working for it. I don’t know if the MS board needs to be fired, but certainly the management from Balmer down should be booted. The last thing they were allowed to do that interests anyone is Kinect. If they could harness the originality that designed the Kinect and turned it toward the PC, I have no doubt they could literally recreate the PC arena. They could give Apple the competition that is currently missing and the result would be that everyone wins.

Fire the management. Fire the board members who blindly support the management. Help MS become great.

1. Anonymous says:

I am enjoying the WP7 platform even though I’m a dyed in the wool Apple fan. Although they have borrowed from the closed garden and control of the hardware aspect of Apple’s approach to the iPhone, they at least created an original user interface as compared to the Xeroxing Google did with Android…

3. Anonymous says:

Good call. Arguing OS platforms on PC and mobile platforms has joined the ranks of arguing religion and politics… I think it actually may be worse.

2. Pete716 says:

Those customers don’t look nearly as cool as the customers in the mac stores. 😀

3. Pete716 says:

Could you imagine how long the line would be for a Microsoft Genius ?

1. Isn’t “Microsoft Genius” an oxymoron?

4. WindowsGuy says:

Microsoft never copies Apple.  That’s just pure nonsense by Apple fanatics.
    Microsoft stuff rules the world and it’s Apple that copies Microsoft.

5. Anonymous says:

“Microsoft are losing ground”
    Did they stop requiring a GED to blog for Mactrast?

6. Drwam says:

The smartest thing Jobs ever said in 1997 was “We have to get over the idea that for us to win, they [MSFT] have to lose.”

7. Arash Forooz says:

It worries me when Steve Ballmer comes on stage and says I have 4 words then goes on to say 5 ….” I Love this company. Yeah. “

8. 327928 972508Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your internet site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way Ill be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast. 524017

9. 584233 864380Wonderful blog here! Also your web site loads up fast! What host are you making use of? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol 74863

10. 101114 779083Hey this really is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or should you need to manually code with HTML. Im starting a weblog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any assist would be greatly appreciated! 558780

11. 59569 88680I always was interested in this subject and nonetheless am, thankyou for posting . 168423