9to5Mac reports that VideoLAN has released update 2.0.2 of VLC, their popular media player, and the list of updates is as tall enough to ride Space Mountain all by itself. The headlining feature will bring a smile to the face of Retina Display MacBook Pro owners.
From the VLC website:
VLC 2.0.2 adds further refinements to the new Mac interface. We improved the video playback experience by enhancing the crop features and restoring the highly desired “go automatically to fullscreen” feature. Additionally, the aspect ratio is respected like in the 1.1.x releases. The Retina Display (HiDPI) on the new MacBook Pro is natively supported, too.
Here’s the full list of changes:
- Enabled drag and drop of playlist items between the temporary playlist and the persistent media library
- Various video output improvements, notably for crop, zoom, osd and menu support
- Enabled import of playlist items taken from the service discovery modules to the media library or the temporary playlist
- Added media key support for keyboards by other manufacturers than Apple. This fix was facilitated through a hardware donation by ZF Friedrichshafen AG manufacturing keyboards under the brand “Cherry”.
- Added HiDPI / Retina Display save UI artwork
- Restored the preferences’ fullscreen options, which allows the user to start videos directly in fullscreen mode
- Keep Aspect Ratio when resizing is back
- Added controls to manipulate the Subtitles Duration to the Track Synchronization panel
- Hidden items in the sidebar are being retained for the next launch now
- Fixed crash when trying to open an Audio CD by drag & drop
- Improve reliability when opening DVDs or BDs by drag & drop
- Fixed a crash when attaching harddrives with multiple partitions while VLC is running
- Improved OSD rendering in fullscreen mode
- Improved fullscreen behavior when using a smartphone remote based upon VLC’s http interface
- The selected audio device is retained throughout multiple VLC sessions now
- Since running the Mac OS X interface as an Extra Interface or Control Interface can lead to undefined results, the respective options will be automatically reset on the first launch, if needed.
- This fixes issues with unresponsive playback controls and crashes on quit.
- Updated Growl plugin supporting Growl 1.3.
- Improved reliablity in detecting VIDEO_TS folders when opened through the “Open Disc” panel.
- Re-implemented the “Window Decorations” option, which, if disabled, hides all the UI elements from the video output window to give you the cleanest experience possible.
- Improved the window title behavior when using the dark interface mode. It correctly responds to right and double-click events now.
- Miscellaneous minor interface improvements
VLC 2.0.2 is available for download here.