New SKUs at a high-profile retailer are indicating that Apple is preparing to release a single, additional iPad model. The new SKUs would fit into the current 4th-generation iPad lineup.
Here is what we do know:
- It is a fourth-generation iPad, not a new design.
- It comes in both the current black and white color options.
- It comes in both WiFi-only and WiFi + Cellular versions.
- It is a more premium SKU that will join the current line of 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB fourth-generation iPads.
- 10-pack deals (in both colors) for educational institutions will be offered.
Code has been found in the current beta of iOS 6.1 that points to 128GB iOS devices, and with recent mentions of 128GB references in Apple’s recent release of iTunes 11, speculation of a 128GB iPad is running high.
9to5Mac has received pricing on the new iPad model, and the pricing is in line with a higher storage capacity. The prices come in at around $799 for the WiFi-only model and $929 for the Cellular-compatible model in the United States.
It is possible that the new SKUs could reference a product specific to government agencies, or other internal uses, but numerous indicators are pointing toward a larger capacity iPad on the horizon.
What do you think? Is Apple about to release larger capacity iOS devices?