Why Don’t iOS Devices Have MagSafe?

Why Don’t iOS Devices Have MagSafe?

This morning my Macbook Pro sustained some minor damage, all because Apple has for some reason refused to put MagSafe in its mobile devices. Admittedly, my situation isn’t exactly standard: I have a shelf above my desk where I have a variety of adaptors plugged in to one multi socket adaptor.

So when, still sleepy after having just woken up, I reached for my iPad, I assumed it was unplugged from the power. I was wrong, and the entire setup came crashing down on my Macbook Pro. Luckily the only damage was to the M key, but it could have been a lot worse.

I realise that blaming this on Apple might be harsh, however there is absolutely no reason why some form of MagSafe couldn’t have been developed for iOS devices. There have been many times in the past when I haven’t been paying attention, forgotten my iPhone/iPad was plugged in and given it an almighty tug, and luckily nothing serious has happened.

But I’m sure one day it will, and the more I think about it the more disappointed I am in Apple for not taking the chance with Lightning to integrate some sort of quick release system into the cable.

MagSafe works great and has saved my computer’s bacon on many occasions, surely with the knowhow at Apple somebody has got to be able to transfer it to mobile devices?

I’m no expert, but from a technical point of view, the only challenge would be ensuring the the plug isn’t that deep. The current Lighting cable would never work because it goes too far into the phone for a quick release system. If you can nail that issue, then I would assume it’s pretty much plain sailing.

Having said that, if it was, you’d like to think Apple would have already incorporated it long ago. Who knows, but for me it’s a must have feature and something that’s severely lacking from the Lightning cables.

1. No says:

Because MagSafe isn’t used for data transfer.

2. Mr Tech Guy says:

I’m guessing that the difference is that MagSafe on the Mac is just a power adapter, whereas Lightening on iPhone and iPad is a data transfer cable, requiring a different design to incorporate that functionality.

3. HenryTaylorGill says:

Yes, but what’s to stop Apple integrating data transfer into MagSafe though? I’m sure with all the resources they have they can figure it out.

1. It’s not safe, and it has never been implemented before. Magnetism (static) is not something you can mix with high-speed signals like data transfer handles. The only solution would have been to have two separated ports for data and power… Besides there are far better features the iOS’ devices could have instead of “MagSafe”

4. That's it! says:

Put the blame to Apple for being totally careless and go get your self a Samsung! Alternatively read the comments

1. Stevie Career says:

Samsung is no better, bud. They’ve tricked you…

5. Hill says:

Mag safe only gives power whereas the lightening connector is used for various other accessories as well as data transfer. Adding magnetism to that isnt easy. As it needs to be substantially connected into the port whereas magsafe needs to be connected barely just to get the power through

6. Marcos Duran says:

And here ladies and gentlemen is why shampoo bottles come with instructions. Lawyers know the country is full of people like this.

7. Derp says:

Magsafe Isn’t used for data transfer, however when someone came up with this apple sued them. weird huh