The South China Morning Post reports that Apple is investigating the reported death of a Chinese flight attendant who was fatally electrocuted after getting out of her bath to answer a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging.
The South China Morning Post, via 9to5Mac:
A spokeswoman for the technology company said: “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the … family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”
According to mainland media reports, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was picking up her iPhone 5 to answer a call while the battery was being charged when she was electrocuted and killed …
The victim’s family says that she was using an official Apple charger to charge her phone. Prior to this incident, there have been no widespread reports of faulty charging with the iPhone 5.
The China Consumers’ Association warned back in May about the dangers of a “flood” of uncertified power chargers on the market (Google translation). The release warned that the chargers could turn a smartphone into a “pocket grenade” and cause explosions, electric shock, or fires in a variety of electronic devices.
It is currently unknown if the Chinese authorities will make the charger available to Apple for examination.