How To Prepare Your iOS Device For iOS 7

How To Prepare Your iOS Device For iOS 7

With Apple set to release iOS 7 in the near future, many of you might be wondering what you need to do in order to prepare for the update. We’ve prepared a few tips to help you out.

iPhone5-iOS7_app_views

Backup & Sync Your Device

The first step you should take to prepare for any iOS upgrade is to completely sync and back up your device using iTunes. First, sync your device by selecting it from the left-hand column in iTunes and clicking the “Sync Now” button.

Next, you should back up your device, just in case it didn’t back up during the sync. Backing up your iDevice is as simple as plugging it into your computer, launching iTunes, right-clicking (or option-clicking) your device from the left-hand column, and clicking “Back Up”

You can also back up your iOS device over the air using iCloud. iCloud automatically keeps your device backed up whenever it’s plugged into power, but you can also back up manually by opening Settings, selecting the iCloud pane, then tapping Storage & Backup, and tapping the Back Up Now button.

Take Note Of App-Specific Passwords

If you decide to completely restore your device to factory settings (which is recommended for big updates like iOS 7), it’s important that you make a note of any important app passwords or information that you’ll need to set your device up on a fresh install of iOS.

Now that you’re ready, simply wait it out and enjoy! iOS 7 will be here before you know it.

Start Fresh

While the fastest way to move to iOS 7 is to simply “upgrade” through iTunes, we recommend performing a full restore in iTunes, setting your device up as new, and starting over from scratch. If you don’t, you might miss out on features or optimizations in iOS 7 that are over-ridden by your previous settings. Besides, it gives you a great chance to declutter and perform some “spring cleaning” of your apps! Getting a fresh start feels great, and makes your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch feel pretty much like brand new!

Save Your Settings

If you are fond of the way you had your device set up before iOS 7 was released, it might be a good idea to go into Settings on your device and write down (or take screenshots of) anything important you might not otherwise remember. One good way to do this is to take a screenshot by pressing both the power and home button at the same time, and then importing that screenshot into iPhoto to save it on your Mac.

Keep Track of Folders and Installed Apps

iOS 7 features a completely new folder layout compared to iOS 6, which won’t carry over if you simply update to iOS 7 on top of your current iOS 6 install. By keeping a list of essential apps you need to install – and which folders you’re used to finding them in – starting from scratch (which, once again, we ALWAYS recommend with a major release) will be much faster and easier.

1. Puttapong Tapaonoi says:

Last paragraph :
    iOS 7 features a completely new folder layout compared to iOS “6”

1. Oops – thanks for pointing it out!

2. Vivek Shetty says:

I use an iPhone 4 and have push email for both my gmail accounts, as they were setup in 2010. If I do a fresh install of iOS7 via Restore in iTunes, will I still be able to enjoy push email for the same gmail accounts?

1. Probably not, since Google will think it is a new phone (even though it’s not).

1. TheMacMommy says:

Why would one NOT still enjoy push gmail? Just curious what the difference is in iOS 7 regarding fetch and push settings. Could you elaborate on it, please? Thanks in advance! I’m excited for iOS 7!

1. Eric M says:

Google changed their exchange abilities and you can only push one account now I believe.

2. Paris Charilaou says:

@JGKunzler:disqus can we find out anything more on that? It’s a shame to lose all our precious gmail push notifications!
        Thanks!

1. From what I gather, if you restore from backup, it should preserve your push Gmail. Although, since I am not able to verify that myself, there are no guarantees.

3. José says:

Translate the article in spanish

4. Oninross says:

If i do a start fresh, spring clean restore, and do a restore from back up, will it still be ok?

5. Becky says:

Was this for only if you wanted to download the beta or does this go for when we download the iOS 7 final on September 18th?

1. Becky says:

Do i have to do a full restore to start from scratch to upgrade to the iOS 7 final on Sept 18? cuz this site http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/19845/20130910/ios-7-download-release-date-iphone-ipad.htm?cid=dlvr.it doesn’t say you have to

1. You could hold down the Option (alt) key while clicking “check for updates”, but doing a full restore then restoring from backup is a lot better.

1. Becky says:

So you think it’s better for me to do a full restore through iTunes on the computer first where it be started from scratch but don’t sign in with my apple account then do the upgrade to iOS 7 then after that sign in with my apple account through iTunes on the computer?

2. Just do a full restore to the iOS 7 GM firmware.

3. Becky says:

I got iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 5th Generation so I never downloaded any of the iOS 7 betas on it

4. Why not just wait until the 18th?

5. Becky says:

That is what I am planning on doing but I was just asking do I need to do a full restore to set my device up as new and start from scratch to install iOS 7 on the 18th or I can just install iOS 7 on top of my current iOS 6 install?

6. I always recommend starting from scratch.

7. Becky says:

so once I start from scratch and install iOS 7 I can then sign in with my apple ID and then restore all of my apps that I had installed on my iOS 6 that I had synced and backed up on to iCloud and through iTunes on my computer onto iOS 7?

6. Eric M says:

Must’ve used an old iTunes version. There’s no side bar menu anymore. (Unless you force it back – but you don’t need it) Just a giant button that says “back up now” even if you back up to icloud every night. The main device page in iTunes is much cleaner and easily understood now.

7. SamT says:

If I do a full restore will I have to put my contacts back in one by one or…?

1. No. iCloud still syncs them.