• Apps
  • iOS

VLC For iOS Returns to App Store With Wi-Fi Upload, 3rd-Party App Integration, and More

VLC has made its return to the iOS App Store. The popular media player was available in the App Store a few years back, but it was removed over copyright issues with the GPL license.

vlc_ipad_screenshot

MacRumors:

Now, VLC is back on iOS with a complete rewrite including AirPlay support, multiple ways to load files into the video app, realtime video filters, playback speed manipulation, subtitles and more.

Features of the completely rewritten app include:

• Wi-Fi Upload – Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
  • Dropbox Integration – Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
  • Download from Web – Download files from any web server for offline playback
  • Network Streams – Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
  • 3rd-Party App Integration – Any app with a ‘share’ dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
  • Video Filters – Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.

In order to avoid any further copyright issues, VLC for iOS is completely open source, and the video playback and library kits are available for use by other developers. An SDK will be released later this summer.

VLC for iOS is available FREE for the iPhone and iPad in the App Store. [DIRECT LINK]

1. cyberb0b says:

I downloaded this as soon as I saw the article but now following the link to the App Store gives a message that says the app is not available in the USA.

1. Chris Hauk Chris Hauk says:

I just tried it, and it showed up just fine for me. Have you tried recently?

1. cyberb0b says:

Yes. It’s showing now. Sorry for the delay. I failed to follow the thread and thank you for the update.

2. We’ve reached out to VLC for response. The app is still available worldwide – this is a temporary issue with Apple’s systems.

2. Ravenholme says:

It gives the same message in Canada too… it seems they pulled it down. It was hard to find in the iphone with the search tool a few times it showed up other times it didn’t. sometimes i had to search “VLC for iOS” or “VideoLAN” now neither works and I suspect they pulled it down from both stores.

1. Chris Hauk Chris Hauk says:

I’m still seeing it in the US store. Have you tried again recently?

2. We’ve reached out to VLC. The app is still available worldwide – this is a temporary issue with Apple’s systems.

3. elo job says:

665770 928880Hey there! Good post! Please when all could see a follow up! 271972

4. 444914 955421As I web site owner I think the topic material here is real great, appreciate it for your efforts. 858067

5. 756056 445224I see something genuinely unique in this site . 116669

6. wow slot says:

240637 593778Hi this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you need to manually code with HTML. Im starting a weblog soon but have no coding understanding so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any assist would be greatly appreciated! 785102

7. 259962 395570Some truly nice and utilitarian details on this internet website , likewise I feel the style and style holds great attributes. 828872

8. 483628 444809I always was interested in this topic and nonetheless am, regards for posting . 482753

9. 210405 46610Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a leisure account it. Glance complicated to much more delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we be in contact? 5166

10. sbo says:

578569 532845Over and over once more I consider these issue. As a matter of fact it was not even yesterday that I last thought about it. To be honest, what is your thought though? 137748

11. sbobet says:

617549 485071Pretty! This was a genuinely amazing post. Thank you for your provided data. cool desktop 272581