We’ve previously detailed how to use Sony’s new DualShock 4 controller to play games on your Mac, while noting that support seems to be very spotty and title-specific at the time being. However, there is good news: It appears that Feral Interactive has added official support for the PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller to many of their Mac games!
We received an email from Feral forwarded from MacTrast reader Tom Crown, which details a semi-official modification you can make to Feral’s games. This allows you to use the PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller both wirelessly and over USB on many of their games!
From the official email from Feral Games:
In order to use your Official Sony PS4 DualShock 4 controller, please follow the below steps:
- Find your copy of your Feral Interactive game (usually in the Applications folder).
- Right click (or ctrl click) and click “Show Package Contents” from the dropdown menu
- Open the “Contents” folder, then the “Resources” folder and finally “Input Devices”.
- Drag the attached PS4Dualshock.plist file into the folder (you will be asked to Authenticate using your username and password, please do so).
Close the Finder window and restart the game with the pad plugged in. The game should now recognize the pad correctly.
We’ve tested and confirmed this as working in Tomb Raider Underworld – although we could NOT get this to work in LEGO Batman 2 and certain other titles. Also: This trick works in Mac App Store versions of the games, as well at the official Steam versions. If you happen to have a spare DualShock 4 controller lying around (which happens to be my favorite game controller yet), this could be a great way to up your gaming on the Mac!
Click here to download the custom .plist file from Feral – (Update 12/19/2013: At Feral’s request, we have removed our direct link to the DualShock 4 .plist file. According to Feral, this is because the file is frequently updated). To obtain a copy of the file, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will provide the latest version.
UPDATE: 12/18/2014 – We reached out to Feral Interactive regarding their DualShock 4 controller support on the Mac, and they responded to us with a complete list of every game the currently supports the controller. They also noted that all future Feral Games releases will support the PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller by default, with no need to add a configuration file. Yippee!
The games that support gamepad plugins like the PS4 are [listed below]. […] Rayman Origins will support the PS4 controller without the need to place the file into the folder. All new releases going forward that support gamepads will support the PS4 pad.
Thank you once again for your interest in Feral games. We have many more to come into 2014! If you ever have a pad that doesn’t work in a Feral game you have to do is email email@example.com.
And this comment, received in a separate email:
All of these games have the input devices folder so should be able to support the DualShock 4. Please note that we have not tested all of them but would be confident that this list will support the gamepad following the instructions previously given.
Let us know if you try this and have success – the full list of supported games can be found below!
- Rayman® Origins (Mac App Link – has BUILT IN DualShock 4 support)
- BioShock (Mac App Link)
- Borderlands Game Of The Year (Mac App Link)
- Batman Arkham Asylum (Mac App Link)
- BioShock 2 (Mac App Link)
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown – Elite Edition (Mac App Link)
- LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Mac App Link)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Ultimate Edition (Mac App Link)
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (Mac App Link)
- The Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Mac App Link)
- Batman Arkham City GOTY (Mac App Link)
- Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (Mac App Link)
- Mini Ninjas (Mac App Link)
- Mafia II Director’s Cut (Mac App Link)
- LEGO Batman (Mac App Link)
- GRID™ (Mac App Link)
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2 (Mac App Link)
- Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (Mac App Link)
- F1 2012™ (Mac App Link)
- SEGA Superstars Tennis (Mac App Link)
Upcoming Feral games with DualShock 4 support: