• Mac

New Mac Pro Confirmed to Have Removable/Replacable CPU

New Mac Pro Confirmed to Have Removable/Replacable CPU

Despite Apple’s tiny new design for the 2013 Mac Pro, which initially had many users concerned that it may not have the upgradability that they expect from a pro-level machine, those hopes are quickly being answered in a positive light. Following confirmation that the device will have upgradable RAM and SSDs (and even the graphics card, if manufacturers produce them in the new form factor), a teardown performed by OWC reveals that the processor is replaceable and upgradable as well!

mac_pro_removable_cpu

MacRumors reports:

Other World Computing (OWC) has performed a quick teardown on one of the new [Mac Pro] machines, and while documentation currently consists of only a small set of photos, the company has confirmed that the Intel Xeon E5 processor found in the Mac Pro is indeed removable, allowing for future upgrades. All four available CPUs for the new Mac Pro use the same LGA 2011 socket standardized on the Mac Pro’s motherboard.

The use of a standard processor form factor should come as great news for Pro users – especially a couple of years down the road, when upgrade time rolls around. It’s nice to see Apple bowing towards repairability for once – something which they have sorely neglected in devices like the Retina MacBook Pro and the new iMac.

Topics

1. Ted says:

I bet that’s another marketing ploy from apple. I get the ram and ssd. But processor upgrade? Every new processor has a new form factor/socket. There’s no way anyone will be able to upgrade that thing after 4-5 years, unless they shell out yet another 3.5 grand. And that’s exactly what apple wants you to do.

1. I disagree. The Xeon processors have kept a fairly consistent form factor over time.

2. relx says:

225864 879619Superb read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was performing just a little research on that. And he really bought me lunch because I identified it for him smile So let me rephrase that. 886789

3. 609604 370296I notice there is definitely lots of spam on this weblog. Do you need to have aid cleaning them up? I may possibly support between courses! 231868

4. spanko.net says:

287559 858951Woh Every person loves you , bookmarked ! My partner and i take issue in your last point. 530209

5. 163945 681548Hey there! Excellent stuff, do keep us posted when you lastly post something like that! 16698

6. nova88 says:

518613 269016Id need to consult you here. Which is not some thing It is my job to do! I spend time reading an post that may get folks to feel. Also, a lot of thanks for permitting me to comment! 457369

7. 529992 948526I like this internet web site because so significantly utile stuff on here : D. 127622

8. 856223 335996Hello! Amazing post! Please when I could see a follow up! 220418

9. pic5678 says:

936274 621620The electronic cigarette uses a battery and a small heating component the vaporize the e-liquid. This vapor can then be inhaled and exhaled 38054

10. sbo says:

668904 92221Youve actually written a quite excellent quality post here. Thank you quite a lot 45904

11. 440887 451519An intriguing discussion will probably be worth comment. I believe that you merely write considerably a lot more about this topic, it might become a taboo subject but usually consumers are inadequate to communicate in on such topics. To an additional. Cheers 906049

12. nova88 says:

410574 464639Wow, incredible weblog structure! How long have you been running a blog for? you created running a blog appear straightforward. The complete look of your website is magnificent, neatly as the content material! 199181