ABC News is the latest addition to the Apple TV channel lineup, and will offer access to the network’s news content without the need to log-in using a supported cable provider to access the content. PBS Kids, AOL On, Willow TV, (a sports channel dedicated to cricket), and a redesigned Flickr app also made an appearance today.
From the ABC News Press Release:
“Our goal is to put our users in control of their news,” said Joe Ruffolo, SVP of ABC News Digital. “We are very excited to be extending our leadership and innovation onto an amazing platform like Apple TV. Utilizing hours of live video each day, opening up our archives, extending our strong local brands, and bringing the trust of ABC News to our users when and where they want it.”
ABC News is currently only available to users in the United States, although ABC says availability will expand worldwide “in the coming weeks”.
Features of the ABC News channel include:
- Constant Video: 24/7 access to live and on-demand video from an unrivaled lineup of ABC’s trusted anchors and correspondents. ABC News on Apple TV also features four separate live video streams allowing users to alternate between live events and breaking news throughout the day.
- Hourly Video Updates/4-5 Live Reports Per Day: ABC News on Apple TV delivers video updates on the hour and 4-5 live updates per day from ABC News correspondents and reporters around the world. From the Ukraine and Iraq to the World Cup in Brazil, ABC News’ powerhouse team keeps you informed on the latest headlines anytime you need a hit of news.
- Local Content: ABC News on Apple TV extends the local power of ABC News, featuring the best video content from nine ABC television stations, with others rolling out in the near future. Stations at launch include: WABC in New York, KABC in Los Angeles, WLS in Chicago, WPVI in Philadelphia, KGO in San Francisco, KTRK in Houston, WTVD in Raleigh, KFSN in Fresno and Hearst station WISN in Milwaukee. From extreme weather updates to breaking news, with just a click of a button, ABC News on Apple TV delivers up-to-the-minute local video content from the biggest markets across the country.
- Original Programming: Unlimited access to the best of ABC News programming and original video series.
- Editorially Curated Top Stories/Videos: From entertainment news and politics to original programming like ABC News’ “Second Tour” and GoodMorningAmerica.com’s “GMA Live,” Apple TV offers a editorially curated selection of the top stories and videos that are continuously updated throughout the day.
- ABC News Archives: Over 50 years of historical footage and video from the ABC News video archives. ABC News on Apple TV also features special sections such as “This Week in History” and “The Day in Pictures,” showcasing the best in historical video footage and photos from around the globe.