Our favorite smartwatch – the Pebble – received an update this week. The new firmware adds iBeacon support, the ability to reorder the system’s Launcher Menu, and iPhone music volume controls.
The Pebble firmware can be updated to version 2.2. via the accompanying Pebble Smartwatch app for the iPhone. The new features are listed below.
Pebble Firmware 2.2 (Release Notes)
- The Launcher Menu is now re-orderable. Hold the Select button to re-position a menu item.
- Volume control in the Music app. Hold the Select button while in the app to launch volume controls.
- Music app redesigned: fixes layout issues and adds a track progress bar (progress bar is iOS only).
- Alarm now vibrates for 10 minutes instead of 1 minute.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
iOS Pebble App 2.2 (Release Notes)
- Support for new volume controls in Pebble firmware v2.2.
- Added iBeacon support, using Bluetooth Low Energy to know when the Pebble and iOS device are in close proximity to each other. GPS location is not recorded, and impact on battery life is negligible.
Pebble was one of the first smartwatches to be available for the iOS and Android platforms. Its Kickstarter campaign broke records with it’s initial plastic model. The company now also offers a higher-end metal model, the Pebble Steel.