Apple on Wednesday debuted a new addition to its iOS app lineup, unveiling the Music Memos app, designed to “capture your song ideas, whenever inspiration strikes.”
Sometimes the best ideas come when you least expect them. When those moments happen, open Music Memos to record high-quality, uncompressed audio through the built-in mic in your iPhone, or connect an external microphone. Music Memos is optimized for acoustic guitar and piano, and it works with other musical instruments, too.
Inspired by Apple’s own Voice Memos app for iOS, Music Memos allows iOS device users to record acoustic guitar, piano, voice, or any musical instrument as high-quality, uncompressed audio, via their device’s built-in microphone. The resulting recordings can then be analyzed for tempo, rhythmic feel and chords. Users can then add realistic drums and bass to their recording.
Users can also view the chords they’ve played, add comments and lyrics, and share their recordings with friends, or directly to Apple Music Connect. (An Apple Music Connect account is required for uploading.)
Quickly capture musical ideas
• Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
• Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
• Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
• Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a library of song ideas
• Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
• Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
• Rate your song idea 1-5 stars to help you identify your favorites
• Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas are always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, edit and document your song ideas
• Automatically analyzes the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
• Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
• The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
• Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
• Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternate guitar tunings or capo position
Share your new song
• Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
• Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
• Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
• Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
• Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
* Requires Apple Music Connect account
“Musicians around the world, from the biggest artists to aspiring students, use Apple devices to create amazing music; the innovative new Music Memos app will help them quickly capture their ideas on iPhone and iPad whenever inspiration strikes,” Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said in the Apple press release.
Music Memos is still rolling out in the App Store, (we can’t see it on our devices yet), but it can be downloaded via this link.