Apple on Monday seeded the second beta of tvOS 9.2 to developers, and the second beta has added what are sure to be a couple of features that will be well received: Live Photos, and full iCloud Photo Library support.
iCloud Photo Library Support
9to5Mac discovered the new features. While iCloud Photo Library support is disabled by default, users can enable it by entering the Settings app and going to the “iCloud” menu. There you can toggle iCloud Photo Library support to “ON.” Prior to this, only Photo Stream content was available for viewing on the set-top device.
iCloud Photo Library on the Apple TV works much like it does on iOS devices and the Mac, including album support for “All Photos,” “Recently Added,” Favorites,” and “Selfies.” 9to5Mac reports there is still not support for Smart Albums or user created albums, also support for slideshows and deleting images is still MIA.
Live Photos Support
Live Photos support is also enabled on the Apple TV in the latest tvOS 9.2 beta, offering users the ability to view the animated photos that can be captured via Apple’s latest flagship phones, the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
To view Live Photos, users need only to click and hold the touchpad button on the Siri Remote.
Other features of tvOS 9.2 include:
- Bluetooth Keyboard support.
- Folders support for grouping apps on Home screen.
- MapKit support.
- Siri support for US Spanish (in US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only).
- Siri support for UK English, Australian English and US English available across the UK, Australian and US Storefronts when English is set as the system language.
- Updated App Switcher UI.
- The Podcast app that was also included in tvOS 9.1.1, also released on Monday.