The “TV” app that Apple promised for iOS and Apple TV users back on October 27, is available in the latest beta of iOS 10.2, which was released to developers earlier today. The app is intended to work as a TV Guide of sorts, making it easier for users to discover new television shows and movies.
Features of the new “TV” App Include:
- Watch Now: Watch Now is where viewers will see their collection of available shows and movies from iTunes® and apps. From Watch Now, viewers can then go to Up Next or Recommended to choose what to watch.
- Up Next: Users can enjoy the shows and movies they are currently watching, including recent iTunes rentals and purchases — all presented in the order they are most likely to watch first. For example, when viewers finish an episode, the next one will automatically appear at the start of the Up Next queue, as will any new episodes as they become available. At any time, users can simply ask Siri to continue watching a show and immediately pick up where they left off.
- Recommended: Viewers can explore a great selection of curated and trending shows and movies, including collections handpicked by Apple’s curators, and dedicated categories and genres such as kids, sci-fi and comedy.
- Library: Viewers can access their entire collection of iTunes movies and TV shows that they have rented or purchased on iTunes.
- Store: If users are looking for something new, they can check out the Store to discover great new content across video services that they have not yet downloaded or are not yet subscribed to, along with the latest releases on iTunes.
It should be noted that Apple’s release notes say the app isn’t fully functional, and from what we can tell, it isn’t yet available in the tvOS 10.1 beta. The TV app is expected to see a wide release on both iOS and the Apple TV in December.