Apple has released the first public beta of iOS 12, meaning non-developers can now try out the beta of the upcoming mobile operating system on their devices.
Be warned, this isn’t ready for prime time software we’re talking about there. So we strongly suggest you only install the beta on a secondary device, not the one you use every day.
Also, be sure to back up your iOS device before installing iOS 12. Back the device up to iCloud, or as an encrypted backup to iTunes.
Apple recommends an encrypted iTunes backup, which will retain your login credentials and any Health and HomeKit data you may have stored on the device. Instructions can be found here.
If your iOS device can run iOS 11, it is compatible with iOS 12.
Installing the iOS 12 Public Beta
Enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program (If You Aren’t Already a Member)
- Open Safari on your iOS device and go to the Apple Beta Software Program website.
- Tap the Sign up button, or go ahead and sign in if you’re already a program member.
- Login with your Apple ID.
- Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program Terms and Conditions if asked.
- The “Guide for Public Betas” screen will appear. Tap the iOS tab, scroll down to the “Get Started” section and tap “enroll your iOS device.”
- On the “Enroll Your Devices” screen, with the iOS tab selected, scroll down until you see the “Download profile” button. Tap that.
- Tap “iPhone” or “iPad” when prompted for a device selection.
- Tap “Allow.”
- Tap “Install” and follow along with the prompts to install the iOS Beta Software Profile.
- Restart your device after installing the profile when prompted.
Install the iOS 12 Public Beta
Please Note: Your iOS device must have at least 50% battery or be connected to a power source to install the iOS 12 public beta.
Once your iOS device restarts, do the following:
- Launch the “Settings” app on your iOS device.
- Tap the “General” menu option.
- Tap the “Software Update” menu option.
- Tap the “Download and Install” menu option.
- Once the download is complete, tap “Install Now.”
The iOS 12 beta will now install. It should take less than 30 minutes to complete. Be patient.