The Amsterdam Apple Store was evacuated on Sunday, due to a possible overheating iPad battery.
After trouble began store staff immediately put the tablet in a bin with sand, which seemed to halt the situation, Dutch blog iCulture noted. By around 2:20 p.m. local time, the city’s fire department was on the scene. Though there was no obvious smoke, three people reported respiratory issues.
The incident moved quickly enough that by 3 p.m., workers and shoppers were allowed to come back in.
— AT5 (@AT5) August 19, 2018
While a proven method for powering electronic devices, such as the iPad, lithium-ion batteries can still be volatile as they can explode or catch fire is battery leakage isn’t immediately dealt with. Apple store has been hit with multiple battery incidents in the past year or so, including some actual fires.