Just in case iOS and Mac Fortnite players weren’t aware of the current situation behind the battle between Epic Games and Apple, Epic was kind enough to send them an email blaming Apple for their not having access to the new Fortnite Season 4 Marvel-themed action.
In the email – reminiscent of the messages that crawl across the screen when your cable provider doesn’t want to pay more for a local channel – Epic Games blames Apple’s App Store fee for the unavailability of new content, even though all Epic Games needs to do is remove its new direct payment option to have the game restored to the App Store.
From the “Epic” email:
Apple is blocking Fortnite updates and new installs on the App Store, and has said they will terminate our ability to develop Fortnite for Apple devices. As a result, the Chapter 2 – Season 4 update (v14.00), did not release on iOS and macOS on August 27.
Apple limits competition so they can collect 30% of consumer payments made in apps like Fortnite, raising the prices you pay. Epic lowered prices through a direct payment option, but Apple is blocking Fortnite in order to prevent Epic from passing on the savings from direct payments to players. Epic has taken legal action to end Apple’s anti-competitive restrictions on mobile device marketplaces. Papers are available for our August 13, August 17, and August 23 filings. In retaliation for this action, Apple blocked your access to Fortnite updates and new installs on all iOS devices.
iOS and Mac players can still play existing season 3 content, but cannot access Season 4 content and cannot play alongside Fortnite players on other platforms. Battle Lab, Duos, and LTMs are disabled on iOS, and iOS players are unable to complete new Quick Challenges and Style Challenges.
As far as we can tell, Epic hasn’t explained why Mac players are being penalized, even though Fortnite for Mac isn’t distributed through the Mac App Store.
Epic Games recommends the Fortnite players feeling left out of the action play on Android, PC, PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch, and recommends customers to ask Apple for refunds for in-app purchases.
Epic Games failed in its attempt to obtain a temporary restraining order from a Northern Califonia court to prevent Apple from blocking Fortnite updates and terminating its developer account. Unfortunately for the game developer, a judge on Monday ruled in favor of Apple about the Fortnite app.
The judge said Epic Games did not demonstrate irreparable harm, adding that the situation appears to be of its own making. She said that arguments from Epic fail to outweigh the “general public interest in requiring private parties to adhere to their contractual agreements or in resolving business disputes through normal, albeit expedited, proceedings.”
Apple earlier this month removed Fortnite from the App Store, just hours after Epic Games debuted a new direct payment option to get around Apple’s in-app purchases rules that give the Cupertino firm a 30% cut of the action. Epic Games immediately filed a lawsuit against Apple for pulling Fortnite from the App Store.
Apple then told Epic Games it would terminate the company’s complete access to its App Store and app development tools. Epic Games said that Apple told it that on August 28, all access will be terminated.
Apple is temporarily prevented from restricting, suspending, or terminating any affiliate of Epic Games, such as Epic International, from Apple’s Developer Program. This means Epic can continue to work on and to distribute the Unreal Engine. The restraining order goes into effect immediately and will remain in force until the court issues an order on the motion for a preliminary injunction.
The hearing for the preliminary injunction is set to take place on Monday, September 28, 2020.