Apple’s main iPhone supplier, Foxconn, says that the floods that have hit the Henan province in China, where it has its main iPhone production plant, have not been impacted operations.
Foxconn told CNBC that its main factory, located in Zhengzhou, the capital of the Henan province, had not been affected by the major flooding in the city, which has so far taken the lives of at least 25 people.
Zhengzhou in China’s central Henan province has been hit with torrential rain. Authorities said it rained more in an hour on Tuesday than it normally would in an average month.
The result has been intense flooding in the city of more than 10 million people. Over 100,000 people have been relocated to safety, at least 25 people have died and seven are missing, according to state media reports.
Foxconn says that it had “activated an emergency response plan for flood control measures in that location” and is actively monitoring the situation.
We can confirm that there has been no direct impact on our facility in that location to date, and we are closely monitoring the situation and will provide any updates as appropriate.
The heavy rainfall is expected to continue until Wednesday evening. Officials in the affected area have suspended the city’s subway network and flights. Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple will be donating to relief efforts to support first responders.
Photo credit: China News Service (via Focus Taiwan)