Apple says the apps and games were selected by Apple’s global App Store editorial team for delivering exceptional experiences and making a profound cultural impact.
“This year’s App Store Award winners reimagined our experiences with apps that delivered fresh, thoughtful, and genuine perspectives,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “From self-taught solo creators to international teams spanning the globe, these entrepreneurs are making a meaningful impact, and represent the ways in which apps and games influence our communities and lives.”
- iPhone App of the Year: BeReal, from BeReal.
- iPad App of the Year: GoodNotes 5, from Time Base Technology Limited.
- Mac App of the Year: MacFamilyTree 10, from Synium Software GmbH.
- Apple TV App of the Year: ViX, from TelevisaUnivision Interactive, Inc.
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Gentler Streak, from Gentler Stories LLC.
- iPhone Game of the Year: Apex Legends Mobile, from Electronic Arts.
- iPad Game of the Year: Moncage, from X.D. Network Inc.
- Mac Game of the Year: Inscryption, from Devolver.
- Apple TV Game of the Year: El Hijo, from HandyGames.
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: Wylde Flowers, from Studio Drydock Pty Ltd.
- China Game of the Year: League of Legends Esports Manager, from Shenzhen Tencent Tianyou Technology Ltd.
Apple also announced five “Cultural Impact Winners,” which the Cupertino firm says “have made a lasting impact on people’s lives and influenced culture.”
The winning apps in the “Cultural Impact Winners” category are:
- How We Feel, from the How We Feel Project, Inc.
- Dot’s Home, from the Rise-Home Stories Project
- Locket Widget, from Locket Labs, Inc.
- Waterllama, from Vitalii Mogylevets
- Inua – A Story in Ice and Time, from ARTE Experience
For more than a decade, Apple has honored the best apps and games at the end of each year.
The App Store launched in 2008 and is currently home to 1.8 million apps and is visited by more than half a billion people each week across 175 regions. The App Store had $643 billion in billings and sales during 2020 alone.