Apple today announced AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging (USB‑C). The earbuds will also receive new capabilities alongside the release of iOS 17.
The new AirPods Pro are updated with a USB‐C connector, making it easy to use a single cable to charge Mac, iPad, AirPods, or an iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro device. Users can also charge AirPods directly with iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max.
While the actual AirPods Pro (2nd generation) doesn’t offer any new hardware features, they continue to deliver excellent sound quality, up to double the Active Noise Cancellation of their predecessor, an advanced Transparency mode, a more immersive Spatial Audio experience, and an expanded range of ear tip sizes for an even better fit.
AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging Case (USB‐C) will be available to order starting today, with availability in stores beginning Friday, September 22.
New Features with iOS 17
All AirPods Pro (2nd generation) gain exciting features and capabilities with iOS 17, including:
- Adaptive Audio: This new listening mode dynamically blends Transparency mode and Active Noise Cancellation, adjusting the noise control based on the sound in a user’s environment. The breakthrough experience, unlocked by advanced computational audio, allows users to stay aware of their surroundings, while distracting noises — like group chitchat at the office, a vacuum at home, or the din of a local coffee shop — are reduced.
- Conversation Awareness: When a user begins speaking to someone nearby — whether they’re having a quick conversation with a colleague or ordering lunch at a cafe — Conversation Awareness helps to lower the content volume, enhance the voices in front of the user, and reduce background noise.
- Personalized Volume: Using machine learning to understand environmental conditions and volume selections, Personalized Volume automatically fine-tunes the listening experience for users based on their preferences over time.
Reduced Carbon Footprint
AirPods Pro uses 100% recycled rare earth elements in all magnets and 100% recycled gold in the plating of multiple printed circuit boards. The case also uses 100% recycled tin in the solder of the main logic board and 100% recycled aluminum in the hinge. AirPods Pro (2nd generation) are free of potentially harmful substances such as mercury, BFRs, PVC, and beryllium. Redesigned packaging eliminates the outer plastic wrap, and 90% or more of the packaging is made using fiber-based materials.
Pricing and Availability
- AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging Case (USB‐C) will be available for $249 (U.S.) from apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in the U.S. and more than 30 other countries and regions starting Friday, September 22.
- EarPods (USB‐C) will be available to order today for $19 (U.S.) from apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in the U.S. and more than 30 other countries and regions.
- Customers can engrave AirPods Pro with a mix of emoji, names, initials, and numbers for free, only at the Apple Store Online.