Why I Almost Bought an Android Tablet (Opinion)

Why I Almost Bought an Android Tablet (Opinion)

I’ve been a long time Mac user (since the early 2000s) and have always had distaste for the windows operating system. It’s awkward, and frequently feels counter-intuitive. Maybe it’s a personal thing – maybe I just think different.

Android vs. iOS is the same scenario, just ported to the mobile world. Android is usable, and I’ve even given it a fair shot; however, I’m an iPhone and iPad user – through and through… Or so I thought.

(The Back-story)

When the original (1st generation) iPhone came out, I didn’t give it a lot of thought. But that was before smartphones had mass-market appeal to consumers. 2 years later, I signed up for AT&T and became the proud owner of an iPhone 3G. It was awesome!

Nothing will ever compare to this. This was a phone that put itself on a pedestal, miles above anything else available at the time. Blackberry couldn’t compare – even with their near flawless keyboard – there was a night-and-day difference between the iPhone and other smartphones of the day.

6 months later, I relocated to a “rural area” (void of AT&T coverage). Given the option to jump ship without a termination fee, I took it without hesitation. I weighed my option and settled on the Motorola Droid on Verizon. Compared to my iPhone 3G, it was noticeably thicker, significantly heavier, and the operating system was far less user-friendly. It ran Android 2.1: Éclair (or some other meaningless pastry) – and eventually update to 2.2 – Froyo. It had similar concepts to the iPhone, but with a mediocre execution, yet it was one of the first widely accepted Android phones… and it was crap. Eventually (a year later) Verizon added the iPhone 4 to their line-up and I was able to ditch the Android powered brick. My experience with Android in its early days was poor, and I haven’t turned back since.

(The Nexus 7)

I haven’t had any desire to own, or even try, an Android device since owning my Droid 2 years ago. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m an Apple fan-boy, but I’m also open-minded enough to try something else if it’s going to benefit me or make my life easier.

The tablet world to me – is defined by the iPad. It is a fabulous tool for productivity, entertainment, and access to my favorite websites, apps, and games. The folks at Apple presented it on stage in 2010, and I accepted that this was the size and shape of the new class of product. Not long after, a wave of imitators and wannabe’s hit the market (a majority of them running a blown-up version of the same Android OS I had used more than a year before). There was no appeal. They were less capable than the iPad. They featured less tablet-specific apps. They were underdeveloped or felt incomplete. The iPad was king of the hill.

In July 2012, Google took stage and present their developers with “the next big thing” – the Nexus 7. It was a 7″ tablet running the latest Android OS – Jelly Bean, which was a far cry from the Android I knew. It was aggressively priced, offered lots of true Google integration, and it made me curious. Google was willing to put out a tablet and say “hey – this is the best we’ve got, and it’s pretty damn good.” …and then the reviews started cropping up.

The tech world was actually intrigued by a tablet that didn’t come out Cupertino. Now, with rumors of the iPad mini on the horizon, my curiosity has grown exponentially as to what using a device smaller than the current iPad and a device bigger than an iPhone 4 would really be like. As the iPad mini rumors pile up, so does my desire to experience that “in-between” – and for $199, I can have it now. I could satiate that hunger with a quick trip down the road, and so I hopped in the car and drove to the local Staples.

(Why I Didn’t Buy One)

Walking in the door, I strolled to the “portable electronics” section. Right in front was a small section of tablets – six, to be specific – the Kindle Fire, the Nook color (both crippled by bloat-ware from their respective manufacturers), a large Acer, a 7″ and 10″ Samsung tablet, and in the center, the Nexus 7.

Seeing all six screens lit up, the Nexus looked the best, hands down. I picked it up, unlocked the screen, and began to play. Holding the Nexus felt nice. Really nice. The small tablet was light weight, but also felt sturdy. The size was very appealing. I could hold it in one hand or two, and feel secure in my grip.

At this point, I was convincing myself even more that I wanted this tablet. But then I started to play… And things fell apart. I clicked through the preloaded apps. Nothing really stood out. Email looked ok, but not great. Google Currents (which is actually better on the iPad) couldn’t hold a candle to the functionality or ease of Flipboard. And then there was the “Play Store,” Androids equivalent of the App Store.

I searched for a few apps that I recalled from my Droid, and settled on trying Twitter. I know there are probably 100 other apps I could have chosen, but twitter seemed the most fair – I had used it on an Android phone, I have it on my iPhone and on my iPad – so I could do the most thorough comparison with it.

Opening Twitter, I expected Google’s newest pride and joy to impress me with a top-notch experience. It didn’t. Not even close. I’ve heard it before and I’ll reaffirm it. Android apps on Android tablets feel like stretched phone apps. The graphics didn’t feel special for a tablet. Text seemed too small for the large screen, images didn’t feel especially sharp, and there was wasted white space all around.

The confusion of Android didn’t end there. I decided that one of the highlights of tablets is surfing the web. Using Chrome on the Nexus 7 was disappointing. Scrolling up and down the page yielded sporadic results. 1 swipe and the page would scroll with an Apple-esque inertia. The next scroll would barely move the page at all. Double-tap zooming was less accurate than on an iOS device, as well.

Clicking small, closely positioned links was nice, auto-zooming over the area to make clicks more accurate. While the browser wasn’t the best experience in the world – it was certainly not a bad experience. Text was crisp and smooth, and images looked clear and colorful. At this point, I was addicted to the feel of the Nexus 7, but the functionality was somewhat disappointing. I left the store, still disenchanted by the Android OS experience, but craving the 7″ experience.

(The Next Apple Tablet)

The Nexus 7 is a good device, especially considering its $199 price tag. Even at that, the overall experience of Android’s OS isn’t worth it, to me. iOS is beginning to feel very dated and unchanged at its core, but Apple’s attention to smooth and simple user experience reigns supreme in the mobile world.

If Apple announces an “iPad mini” (or whatever they call it), I’ll be the first in line at the local Apple store – even if it means a week-long camp out and paying little more. If Google can produce a tablet for $199, Apple’s Rolodex of parts suppliers and stronghold over the supply chain, there is no doubt in my mind Apple can pull off a 7.85″ iPad for a reasonable price (under $279 or less) and still turn a nice profit.

I almost bought an Android tablet, and I’m glad I didn’t. My obsession over the idea of a slightly smaller screen nearly cost me $200 and a mediocre experience. A few years ago, Steve Jobs said that a 7″ tablet wouldn’t yield a good experience. Using the Nexus 7 certainly doesn’t dispute that, but it definitely proves that there is a market for it. If Apple can put out a 7-8″ tablet and see a return like the current iPad, it could easily assure Apple’s dominance over the tablet industry for a long time to come.

Would you buy an iPad mini? How much would you pay for such a device?

(The opinions expressed in this are strictly those of the author. Also of note, after multiple visits to Staples, I’ve explored various apps and am still tempted by the allure of the Nexus 7.)

1. rnsheets says:

I got an iPad but I also have the new KindleFireHD 7″. Love the Kindle for its size, but being a droid has its setbacks. Nothing like the iOS.

2. Encino Bob says:

I also was tempted by the Nexus 7 and did purchase one. The only advantage over my iPad is indeed the size and weight, but the compromises in readability and responsiveness relagated the Nexus to a Words With Friends device for my wife ( it’s great for that ! )

3. Debbie Bell says:

I’m an Apple fangirl, and have been since they first started making them! IMO nothing beats the IOS for ease of use, intuitive controls and reliability. I have a PC-loving family member who always scoffed at me, until he got an iPad himself as a gift. Suddenly all I hear is how great it is, easy to use, wonderful apps, features, look, etc. LOL

That said, I’m not sure why I would need a smaller sized iPad, so until I see one in use I won’t know if it has any advantages for me or not. I can see them being offered in different sizes based on consumer preferences, I just happen to like the size they are now.

4. Harry says:

After owning both devices i will say the Nexus has tones of strong points. I just wish there was tablet apps for it. But i still love it 🙂

5. The content of this article is great, but it is laden with grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. 😛

6. Steve Levine says:

I own an iPad and love it. That being said, for the many who have not yet dipped a toe in the water, I foresee a mini iPad as a viable solution. Unsure if there is utility for the current iPad owner other than smaller size for specific mobile situations and in those scenarios the smartphone serves a purpose. In addition, what I believe often gets lost in the iPad versus non-iPad tablet comparisons is the App Store. The organization and ease of use of Apple’s App Store is an underrated benefit. Hence, this will especially appeal to the new users where a mini iPad will be their first tablet.

7. Jeff Dickey says:

I’ve been a very evangelistic Apple user for years. I came to the Mac after growing disgusted with broken Windows and then Linux that, outside a corporate setting, stubbornly refused to grow up on the desktop. I’ve been pointing out to people for years my logbooks that typically show an hour a day or more dealing with Windows dreck, compared to minutes a week maintaining the Mac. Not even close.

So when iPhone shipped, I was primed to be a MAJOR fanboi. And, by and large, I’ve felt that, if anything, it under-promised and over-delivered on the usability I’d come to take for granted under OS X with (if anything) a higher degree of integration. Prices have always been high, but I rationalised that as
    a) it takes profits to pay for real R&D; and
    b) my PC/Mac experience had taught me that I could either pay a premium price up front (for the Mac) and then just do what I set out to, or I could pay a bargain price for hardware, and take insane productivity and satisfaction hits for as long as I used the system. I’ll take Door #1, Alex…

And then my iPhone 4 was stolen, two months before the iPhone 5 announcement. Yes, we knew the iPhone 5 was coming, and that it was going to be the sixth Jesus Phone in a row for millions of people. Had I continued to use the iPhone 4 until now, I’d be one of them. My phone company, as expected, was no help (in Singapore, businesses do not exist to serve customers; that’s reversed). They’d “graciously” give me a 5% discount off the uncontracted price if I wanted to buy a new iPhone 4S — but my contract would be renewed when that new 4S went into service. Which means, of course, “no iPhone 5 for you”.

So I went and bought the first “cheap” phone I could find that had the features I really cared about, especially 3G WiFi tethering for my (non-3G) iPad. That phone was an HTC Explorer, running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and it felt like something designed to compete, poorly, against the iPhone 1. I could install 3 apps OR I could view photos I’d taken; there wasn’t enough memory to do both. And this was a brand-new phone! If anything could have cemented my resolve to buy an iPhone the picosecond it became available, the Explorer seemed extensively optimised for that purpose.

Then a close friend took pity on me after watching my try to text on the Explorer, and loaned me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″ tablet. Running 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Tab can do everything I could do on the iPhone 4, with two major improvements. Voice dictation works, and is usable almost anywhere in the system (I’d need a 4S to get close to that in an iPhone). And, more importantly, with the comparatively huge tablet area, I can text faster and more reliably on the Tab than on any mobile phone I have ever used.

I do miss some things. Cross-app integration is not what I’m used to from iOS. And LTE will be a huge win once the government-linked telcos here stop charging an arm and three legs for the service, which I expect to be at about the time they’ve had their LTE buildout paid for ten times over. At least.

If I were in the free world, I might be a lot more excited about the iPhone 5. But here, especially at a minimum of twice the price of the Galaxy Tab, it’s far less compelling. And I’m back to the feeling I had when I was one of the first here to have an iPhone: people look at and ask me about my phone because they haven’t seen anything quite like it. Living in a place that’s the most self-congratulatory fusion of State and corporate power yet imagined, where grassroots fads are almost as authentic as imitation Astroturf® and are more carefully managed, that feeling is always an unexpected, unauthorised thrill.

8. Dark Shadow says:

Nexus 7 is by far the best tablet for the money, fast as any tablet out there or faster, google now, google wallet, NFC chip, easy to carry, if you use it to play games, no lag at all, couldn’t be happier with it…

9. 611616 489676Thank you for your extremely great data and feedback from you. car dealers san jose 658977

10. free cad says:

891922 334917Yours is really a prime example of informative writing. I think my students could learn a lot from your writing style and your content. I may share this post with them. 884992

11. 260119 329905Aw, it was an very great post. In thought I would like to set up writing similar to this additionally – taking time and actual effort to create a quite very good article but exactly what do I say I procrastinate alot and also no means manage to go done. 934058

12. nova88 says:

123505 253008Greetings! Quick question thats completely off subject. Do you know how to make your internet site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone. Im trying to discover a template or plugin that might be able to fix this dilemma. In the event you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it! 577449

13. 658124 729654I enjoy the appear of your internet site. I lately built mine and I was searching for some design concepts and you gave me some. Might I ask you whether you developed the site by youself? 736532

14. nova88 says:

800934 129632Private Krankenversicherung – Nur dann, wenn Sie sich fr die Absicherung ber die Rentenversicherung entschieden haben, dann knnen Sie sich sicher sein, dass Sie im Alter so viel Geld haben, damit Sie Ihren Lebensstandard halten knnen. 277878

15. 197283 365653Youd outstanding guidelines there. I did a search about the field and identified that really likely the majority will agree along with your internet page. 307547