As iOS Users Warm to Apple Maps, Google’s Maps Are Left Out in the Cold

As iOS Users Warm to Apple Maps, Google’s Maps Are Left Out in the Cold

While Apple Maps didn’t exactly have a great start, with numerous bugs reported in its early months of life, new data from ComScore shows users have warmed up to the app, with Google Maps as the big loser.

map_directions_from_OS_X_Maps

9to5Mac:

Google Maps lost 23M iPhone users in the US alone in the last year, with similar numbers expected elsewhere.

The figures show that in September this year, 35M iPhone owners used Apple Maps, against just 6M for Google Maps – the latter including around 2M who were using older versions of iOS unable to run Apple Maps.

So, it appears that just like a camera, the best app is the one you have with you. And Apple Maps is on every device running iOS 6 or higher.

9to5Mac points out that this doesn’t bode well for other types of apps, such as streaming music apps. Sure, Pandora may have gotten a short-term bump in listeners from the iTunes Radio publicity, as it was probably mentioned in nearly every story about Apple’s new streaming music service, but how will Pandora fare in the long run?

What do you think readers? Is the best app for the job, the one you have handy? Will Google Maps continue to lose ground to Apple Maps on iOS? How will Google Map usage on Macs fare now that OS X 10.9 Mavericks includes Apple Maps? Please, share your opinions with us in the space below.

1. Jack Langowski says:

While I like the recent improvements in Apple Maps, their source is older than Google’s, so I tend to use the latter’s still when accuracy is important.

1. @theWDB says:

I still have major issues with the Apple Maps accuracy. There is a school listed near my house that was torn down five years ago, there is a neighborhood there now. In addition, about one mile from my house they show a shopping center that doesn’t exist. Well, it actually exists, just about five miles from where they show it.

2. Ro Pe El says:

I love Apple maps, but i usually prefer Google maps because Apple ones cant be preloaded in the memory, it’s a very useful function for offline usage, I’d love apple to include this on their app.

3. Chris Hauk Chris Hauk says:

I agree, Apple’s Maps app does need work. I followed its directions to an animal shelter last week, and wound up at the sewer treatment plant!

4. Will weaton says:

in my experience, Apple Maps has been on par with Google’s accuracy. Google’s app, in my opinion, is clunky.

5. MRonin ⚜ says:

I personally have preferred Apple Maps over Google since it’s inception, but prefer Motion X over both due to real time traffic data and slightly more straight forward routing and a couple other features. However if I were no longer willing to pay MotionX twenty bucks a year, I’d definitely default to Apple Maps.